Mahabaleshwar is located in the majestic Western Ghats of Maharashtra. Situated at the altitude of 1372 meters, Mahabaleshwar is the tourists’ paradise in western India. The cool climate and amazing monsoons make Mahabaleshwar the perfect getaway for tourists looking for a refreshing change from their hectic routines. If you are planning a trip to Mahabaleshwar, then just booking a room in one of the hotels in Mahabaleshwar is not enough. You need to become familiar with the tourist norms of this hill station for an unforgettable trip.
The biggest hill station in Sahyadri range, Mahabaleshwar is 227 km and 115 km away from Mumbai and Pune respectively. Mahabaleshwar is 47 km away from Satara, which is the nearest district. Naturally, the best way to reach to Mahabaleshwar is by getting to one of these cities. From there, you can either take a bus or rent a car. Once in Mahabaleshwar, getting around is not difficult at all. You can easily get a taxi or bus to get around the popular tourist spots in the city. If you have booking with popular hotels in Mahabaleshwar, chances are that you might get discount holiday packages that include the expenses of sightseeing.
All budget, deluxe and luxury hotels in Mahabaleshwar are bustling with tourists throughout the year. So, bookings a room in advance is mandatory for the best accommodations. All the hotels offer exceptional accommodation for groups as well as couples. A lot of hotels including government cottages are excellent for backpackers or groups of trekkers.
Any time of the year is suitable to plan a trip to Mahabaleshwar. However, March to May is the peak season, while June to September witnesses heavy monsoons. Natural attractions and panoramic views of Mahabaleshwar are plenty. Trips are conducted every 2-3 hours to various sightseeing spots in Mahabaleshwar. You can also visit the nearby tourist destinations like Panchgani, Tapola, Pratapgad Fort and Kshetra Mahabaleshwar temple. Kshetra Mahabaleshwar is a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and also the origin of five important rivers in Maharashtra.
Amongst many views of mountains and valleys following are the must-see points in Mahabaleshwar:
• Arthur’s Seat
• Babington Point
• Bombay Point/Sunset Point
• Kate’s Point
• Lingamala Falls
• Lodwick Point
• Venna Lake
• Wilson’s Point
Things to carry
• The basic things to carry while travelling to Mahabaleshwar depend on the season. However, carrying sufficient warm clothing like sweaters, socks, and hand gloves is a must in winter. While raincoats, umbrellas, jackets or hoodies are required during rainy season.
• Apart from sweaters, carry raincoats, goggles, sports shoes or walking shoes, camping gear including clothing, ropes, torch, matchbox, candles, for those who are interested in trekking and hiking. Also carry binoculars.
• First aid medications, bandage, antacids, mosquito repellent, soaps, paper soaps, tissue papers, cellphones and cameras with their battery chargers.
• Carry enough cash and debit cards. Not all the places apart from some luxury hotels in Mahabaleshwar accept credit cards.
• Don’t forget to carry a garbage bag which can suffice your own litter like empty cans, tins, water bottles, food packets. You can easily collect your own garbage in these bags.
Source by John K Victor